clouds

2 ‘Notes on the History of Boys Training in the RAF’; AHB document dated 5 September 1955. Copy held in TMA.
3 Later air commodore and Commandant of No 1 School of Technical Training Halton, 1927-1929.
4 Armitage, op cit, p29. See also Martin, Sqn Ldr C; ‘Early Apprentice Memories’ in Halton Magazine, Winter 1949, p57.
5 Armitage, op cit, p29.
6 Ross, J; The Royal Flying Corps Boy Service (Buckland Press, Dover, 1990) p73.
7 Taylor, B; Halton and the Apprentice System (Midland Publishing, Leicester, 1993) p11.
8 See Note 2.
9 Cmd 467. A copy may be accessed at TNA as piece AIR1/17/15/1/84 and it was reproduced verbatim in Flight for 18 December 1919,
pp 1622-25.
10 Escott, Sqn Ldr Beryl; The Story of Halton House, Edn 5 (Halton House Officers Mess) p42. Halton Park was the original name of the land
between the airfield and Halton House.
11 Transcript of the Trenchard Memorial Lecture delivered at the Halton Branch of the Royal Aeronautical Society on 19 April 1990 by
Air Chf Mshl Sir Michael Armitage KCB CBE, ex-Halton Apprentice, 56th Entry. Copy held in TMA.
12 TNA AIR2/129. Air Ministry Pamphlet ‘Entry of Boy Mechanics to the Royal Air Force’ was published in October 1919; its content was
summarised in Flight for 20 November 1919, p1517. Candidates would be nominated by, and have the endorsement of, their Local
Education Authority and entry was to be competitive, via an examination which, it was anticipated, would be ‘similar to that which already
exists for the entry of boy artificers into the Royal Navy.’
13 Over 20 trades were taught at Halton in the early days of apprentice training. Most were sub-divisions of fitter, carpenter, blacksmith, and
coppersmith, A full list of these sub-divisions can be seen in a document entitled ‘Apprentice Training at Halton’, dated 11 May 1983, held
in TMA.
14 Boyle, Andrew: Trenchard Man of Vision (Collins, London, 1972) p330.
15 Apprentice intakes were trained at No 2 School of Technical Training at Cranwell until 1926. Entries 1 to 4, and 8, completed the full three
years at Cranwell. The 9th and 10th entries began at Cranwell but moved to Halton to complete their training.
16 See Note 11.
17 The 1st Entry enlisted in January 1920. Between 1920 and 1945 there were two intakes a year with the exception of 1941 when only one
was recruited. From 1946 to 1964 there were three a year, and from 1965 to May 1990 there were two a year with occasional reductions
to one and increases to three. The last entry, the 155th, enlisted in May 1990.
18 RAF Form 266, ‘Entry as an Aircraft Apprentice’. See also Tunbridge, Paul; History of RAF Halton No 1 School of Technical Training
(Buckland Publication, London, 1995) p26.
19 Standing Orders for Apprentices Wings Stationed at Halton Camp, 1927; copy held in TMA.
20 Full details of the numerous recreational and sporting facilities available at Halton from 1920 to 1993 can be seen in various editions of
the Halton Magazine held in TMA.
21 Ten shillings and sixpence a week in the first year from 1920 to 1952. Apprentices received a ten shilling note on the pay parades held
once a fortnight. One shilling was deducted for barrack damages and the amount remaining in credit was paid as a lump sum before
proceeding on the main block leave periods. Small pay increases were given in the second year and third years, or on attaining the age
of 17½ whichever came first. After 1952, annual pay increases for apprentices kept pace with the pay awards to the Armed Forces. Free
travel warrants were also introduced in the WW II years and beyond.
22 Flight, 9 August 1923, p480.
23 Hansard. HC Debate, 25 February 1926, Vol 192, cc 820-824.
24 Copies held in TMA.
25 Standing Orders for Apprentices Wings Stationed at Halton Camp, 1935, pp4 & 20; copy held in TMA.
26 Standing Orders for Apprentices Wings Stationed at Halton Camp, 1927, p23; copy held in TMA.
27 The Halton Magazine September 1943, p4.
28 RAF Training Command Public Relations Document, dated April 1974.
29 The wireless trades were initially taught at Flowerdown. Apprentices selected for this training enlisted at Halton where they completed
some basic training with their entry before moving to Flowerdown. Aircraft Apprentice training in the electrical trades moved to Cranwell in
1929 and to Locking in 1952 from where the aircraft-related aspects of this training moved to Cosford in 1963.